Go back to the Job List
Postdoctoral Research Fellow - OPR MicrobiomePosted by: Atrium Health
Posted date: Mar-02-2020
The postdoctoral Research Fellow is responsible for conducting basic and clinical translational research for genomics related biomarker discovery for oral and systemic diseases. The individual will use molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry, and microbiology investigation methodologies in bench research. The individual undertakes research studies in areas defined by the principle investigators or designee. Responsibilities will include all aspects of research from protocol and experimental design, study implementation in the laboratory, data analysis and interpretation, grant writing, abstract and manuscript preparation, and presentation at meetings. All work will be conducted with minimum of direct supervision as defined by the principle investigators. Ph.D. with appropriate research experience during prior graduate education needed in genetics, molecular and cellular biology/biochemistry. Demonstrated knowledge in contemporary biomedical research approaches. Knowledge/experience in biostatistics or bioinformatics and clinical outcome research would be preferred. Experience in basic and translational research in oral/salivary diseases would be a plus. The ability to develop novel research projects and implement them into laboratory is essential. Excellence in oral and written communication skills is required. Demonstrated prior experience in preparation of abstracts, presentations, and manuscripts is desirable. Prior experience in writing/reviewing of grant applications is preferred. Organizational, time management, and planning capabilities needed. Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, energetic, and to work effectively in a team environment.
- Develop, design, and implement basic science and clinical translational research projects related to oral medicine. Work directly with the laboratory principal investigators regarding selection of research objectives and procedures. The research will be performed in conjunction with other internal and external collaborators.
- Organize work according to priority of the experimental studies and assessment of the time necessary to complete procedures. Keep careful and accurate records.
- Generate data necessary for creation of abstracts, papers, presentations, and applications for extra- and intramural funding. Present summaries of results at meetings of the lab group and elsewhere.
- Prepare applications for external funding and help to prepare grant proposals.
- Be responsible for manuscript, poster, and seminar preparation, under guidance of laboratory principal investigators.
- Maintain confidentiality of all laboratory information and experimental results
- Assist lab director in training laboratory technicians, students, residents, etc. as needed.
- Be familiar with and adhere to all regulations of inspecting bodies regarding occupational health and safety (OSHA).
- Perform minor troubleshooting on equipment and procedures.
- Provide support of scientific research, publications, presentations, and teaching activities, as requested by the laboratory principal investigators or designee.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
1.Develops research protocols for collection, handling, processing, and analysis of human and bacterial specimens and writes or updates SOPs
2.Works closely with clinical coordinators to plan for timely collection and processing of the biological samples
3.Practices proper safe techniques in the handling and processing human biological materials and bacterial cultures
4.Manages compliance with safety standards and GLP by working closely with QA/QC officers
5.Manages day to day activities of the laboratory staff
6.Ensures maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment
Involves long periods of sitting or standing and some walking. Occasional lifting is necessary. Handling of human biological samples, supplies and equipment. Responsibility to work in a safe manner.
Education, Experience and Certifications
MD, PhD or both in Proteomics, Biochemistry, Biology, or Bioinformatics required. 3 years of relevant pre-doctoral research experience required. Experience in cell cultures, biochemical techniques such as subcellular fractionation, MudPIT, and Western blot analysis preferred. Prior experience in database establishment and scripting languages preferred.