Go back to the Job List
Postdoctoral Researcher, Microbiologist, Molecular Biologist-ChinaPosted by: Jiangsu University
Posted date: Oct-29-2020
We are currently focused on developing bacteria systems to produce both lignocellulose-deconstructing enzymes and a range of biofuels and bioproducts. The selected candidate will develop bioconversion routes to produce products directly from lignin. You will also collaborate with bioinformaticians to elucidate lignin catabolic pathways in bacteria and then modify them to divert carbon into biosynthetic pathway for a range of bioproducts, e.g vanillin, muconic acid, resveratrol, etc.
Primary responsibilities will include to genetically engineering Bacillus or other bacterium, toward desired bacterial phenotypes. The projects will also involve characterizing bacterias gene regulatory networks and apply such knowledge towards the broader goals of understanding how lignin biodegradation is regulated on the transcriptional level and how we can implement metabolic regulatory controls to improve it. The job will require a variety of molecular biology and synthetic biology techniques such as gene knockout, and the candidate should have a strong aptitude to learn and explore new techniques as well as to develop basic biochemical assays to test hypotheses.
Research responsibilities include the following:
1.Improved lignin depolymerize aromatic compound production rate and yield through strain engineering via targeted gene knockout, knockin, and plasmid-based gene expression.
2.Characterize the genetically engineered strains with growth curves, time-course quantification of aromatic compound production with GC-MS, and measurements of lignin derived substrate consumption and fermentation products using HPLC.
3.Measure (differential) gene expression with qRT-PCR for physiological understanding and inform strain engineering strategies
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
(1) Preference will be given to candidate with experience in implementing gene regulatory control or dynamic control of metabolism including the use of gene circuits.
(2) The candidate be experienced with molecular cloning, PCR, qPCR, plasmid construction, bacterial transformation, and the ability to develop basic assays and enzyme assays.
(3) Working knowledge of Bacillus species or related microorganisms is a plus
(4) Knowledge and experience with metabolic engineering and synthetic biology is ideal
(5) Analysis and interpretation of transcriptomic data is desired
(6) Knowledge in lignocellulosic biomass structure and characterization is also a plus
(1) Must be a recent Ph.D. graduate within the last 3 years in molecular biology, chemical and biomolecular engineering, microbiology, or related field with in-depth knowledge in microbial physiology and emphasis on metabolic engineering and synthetic biology
(2) Proficient in oral and written communication, and communicate well with team members
(3) Some responsibility for the training and supervision of students and new postdoctoral.
(4) Contribute to project planning, renewal, and proposal development.
(5) Ability to work independently and in a team in a multidisciplinary environment.
(6) Proficient in oral and written communication, and communicate well with team members
(7) Some responsibility for the training and supervision of students.
(8) Contribute to project planning, renewal, and proposal development.
(9) Ability to work independently and in a team in a multidisciplinary environment.